Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Replacement Blu-ray Player: LG BD530

I finally replaced my Samsung BDP 1590 with a new blu-ray player the LG BD530.  Would it work over hdmi as the old Sammy had quit doing after a firmware update was the first question to answer.  Heck yes, it did.  I actually planned on buying the new Panasonic from Best Buy but it was not in stock and this one ended up being a steal.

It does not have all the fancy apps that many players have.  It has weather, youtube, and access to Picassa.  Basically, there's nothing there that I will ever use.  We watched The Incredibles on dvd first upconverted to 720p for our hdtv.  It looked better than I had ever seen it.  Then I popped in my Sammy's nemesis, Robin Hood on blu-ray, and it played dutifully.  Finally, I can watch Russell Crowe steal from the rich and give to the poor, well sort of, I suppose. 

But, there was definitely a bonus feature that I did not expect: mkv playback.  The files have to be h264 so far from my experimenting with it.  But it will play back recordings I've made from my HD PVR perfectly which I have yet to get my Apple TV 2 to do!  Awesome.  The downside is that it is just a a file viewer to look at the files on an external hard drive and not a cool gui like on XBMC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment