Thursday, February 24, 2011

Movie Palace

When I was a child there was a closed down movie palace downtown.  Every time I rode past it I would tell my parents or grandmother how that if I had the money I would open it back up.  Needless to say, I never got the money and never re-opened it.  Recently, photos of a movie opening at that theater came to light and I thought about how driving past it inspired my love of movies and home theater. 

As every young boy, I wanted a big tv growing up of my own.  I remember buying a stereo model and how disappointed I was later to find out I had a mono vcr and had to replace it as well.  I was the only one of my friends to hook up a stereo receiver and speakers to the "hi-fi" vcr I later bought to get stereo sound from vcr tapes and tv shows.  And I'm sure no one took me seriously when I expounded on the greatness of Dolby Pro Logic surround sound when I scraped up enough money to buy a capable receiver.

Today I enjoy movies on a 92" screen once a week.  My theatrer room is definitely not a movie palace, but high definition video and discrete 5.1 surround sound make a great substitue.  And maybe one day if I ever win the lottery.......

No comments:

Post a Comment