Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Ipad or Android Tablet?

I went to the local Apple store soon after the Ipad came out this year and decided I needed one.  I could really imagine taking it with me on trips, or just lounging around the house not having to boot up my laptop.  But with a starting price of $499, it sure was not in my budget.  I started seeing posts on Engadget about Android tablets and began to research them.  The low, low prices looked great.  Then I noticed different models showing up at K-mart and drugstores even.  Unfortunately, most of them maybe bargains at $100-150, but they just can't compete with an Ipad.

I bought a Sansa MP3 player once, and used it until it died.  It worked most of the time, but it didn't fully replace the Ipod that came before it.  When it did die, I went back and got another Ipod.  The same may go with Android tablets.  The Sansa was a bargain and it worked, even if it did so crudely.  To really make them go over, some major consumer electronics maker is going to have to make one.  And a major manufacturer will probably drive the price up closer to the Ipad; sorta how the Zune is positioned.  Good parts and service adds to the cost.

Will I buy a current, cheap Android tablet?  More than likely I will, if only to try it out and pass it along to my kids.  Then, maybe, I can get the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment