Monday, November 29, 2010

Update Firmware on Home Theater Receiver

I had been having several problems with audio drop outs over hdmi on my reciever.  Every time I paused or rewound video from any source the reciever would lose the audio signal.  I could switch inputs to something else and then back and it would resync itself, but that had been getting old.  I had also used the toslink cables to bring in the audio, but that does not fix the fact that I needed hdmi for Dolby TruHD or DTS Master Audio from the blu-ray player.

I decided to check for a firmware update for my Harmon Kardon reciever.  It turns out there was an update out there.  I downloaded it and connected a cable from the laptop to the reciever and followed the directions.  It required me to press two buttons on the rear of the reciever several times as I clicked on the next step on the computer.  Eventually, as in 45 minutes later, I was done.

Now, I have no problems with annoying audio drop outs.  I would suggest that anyone who has a modern receiver that can have the firmware updated to check and see if a newer version is available.  You may be surprised with the results in what the manufacturer may have made since you purchased yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment